Thursday, January 10, 2008

“What Is A Blog”?

Last week I watched NCIS with my dad. Their suspect was the younger sister of one of the NCIS colleagues. During one of their interrogations the girlfriend of the victim was questioned. She explained that the suspect disliked her because the victim used to be the suspect’s boyfriend and now she had him.

She went on to reveal how the suspect had released her anger for the world to see by trash talking her on some “blog”. The interrogator then responded,

Interrogator: What is a blog?
Victims Girlfriend: You know a blog.
Interrogator: No, I don’t know.
Victims Girlfriend: It’s a place where losers waste their time writing about their life and trash talking other people for the world to see.

Later the interrogator asked one of his colleagues “Do you know what a blog is”?

Colleague: Isn’t it something to clog the sink?
Interrogator: No, I mean the blog on the internet.
Colleague: I thought that was what a blog is unless it has another definition.

I found this hilarious. My dad and I thought about my mom and burst out laughing. I don’t think my mom is a loser for blogging because I blog too. Although she spends excessive time reading other blogs and updating her own. I guess it’s one of her “hobbies” if blogging is considered one. Before my mom began blogging I might have answered that question with a similar answer.

It surprises me that with the millions of blogs out there, if you were to walk up to someone and ask them “Do you know what a blog is”? They most likely would have no clue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

{chuckle!} I'm humored, also! It shows that society at large has little understanding of the graceful, useful purpose of the written word.

Words have the power of life and death. I am so glad that you, your Mom, and so many others take thier tounge serously. :)

Saph said...

LOL that's funny. I really like NCIS also but I haven't watched it at all this season. I mainly watch The Biggest Loser ( I somehow find that show fascinating ).
I'm surprised there are people out there that don't know what blogs are.
I do consider blogging a hobby - unless you've turned it into a business like many people have.